Are you ready for a family trip to Costa Rica that you’ll never forget? Our Costa Rica family vacation itineraries are specifically designed for families with kids…and adults! We keep each member of the family in mind. From the grandchildren to the adventurous uncle, there are plenty of wonderful family activities and tours that will engage the children while keeping even the most well-traveled adults entertained.
Your trip will be planned by a highly experienced and personable travel agent to ensure that your vacation is safe, versatile, and fun. You will have the trip of a lifetime! See for yourself what a Costa Rica Escapes family vacation is like.
Here’s what our travelers think about their trip:
Infinite thanks to you and CRE for planning the best trip we could have ever imagined. It was the trip of a lifetime- if we could leave tonight and do it all over again, we would in a heartbeat.” – Rebecca
Our proven trip itineraries are unique. They are designed with various activity choices to fit a variety of travel styles, from the adventurous and active family with teenagers to the laid-back family that wants to observe nature in a relaxed environment.
Our accommodation choices are suited especially for families and can be tailored to your specific needs based on the age of your children and amount of space that you require. All of our accommodations are boutique properties offering a plethora of things to do in a comfortable and safe environment for everyone.
Our Costa Rica Family Vacation Itineraries
The following itineraries were designed and built with families at front of mind, for families of all different sizes and ages, and they include efficient travel routes. Each itinerary offers various levels of adventure and education-based excursions.
When planning your family vacation with us, you will have various options and customizable elements that allow you to make sure the itinerary is exactly what you and your family will enjoy and appreciate during your special time together in this magnificent country. You will be amazed as to what your family will experience and learn in just a short time traveling in Costa Rica! Review itineraries below, or customize your own trip.
Turrialba -> Pacuare River -> Drake Bay
This itinerary visits a couple of Costa Rica’s best-kept secrets, and is excellent for adventurous families with teenage children. It encompasses an incredible variety of natural rainforest environments, and the adventures within this trip are uniquely unforgettable. From white-water rafting on the Pacuare River and sleeping deep in a rainforest jungle lodge to exploring the “Amazon” of the Costa Rican rainforest in the Osa Peninsula, families are sure to see (and experience) a great deal of what Costa Rica offers.
Monteverde -> Arenal -> Pacific Coast (Manuel Antonio or Playa Hermosa)
This is our most popular family vacation experience. It’s a great introductory trip to Costa Rica, and will keep families of all ages/travel experience entertained and engaged. You will visit the cloud forest, rainforest, jungle and beaches! You will also see volcanoes, experience the mountains and soak in natural geo-thermal hot springs before relaxing on the beach as monkeys swing in the vines and snack on mangoes overhead. Pura vida!
Arenal -> Pacific Coast (Manuel Antonio, Playa Hermosa or Samara)
This trip is great for families that want to see both the mountainous rainforest and the beach without extensive travel time. There is some extra time at the beach built in for those who seek it at the end of their travels. In the itinerary, you will visit the beautiful area of Arenal to see the amazing volcano before heading west to the Pacific Coast for some R&R on the beach. This itinerary allows for both light and high adventure activities. There is always a great deal of wildlife seen on this trip and the final beach location is up to you to choose.
Central Highlands -> Arenal -> Manuel Antonio, Playa Hermosa or Samara
This itinerary works extremely well for families with younger children. It’s also great for families with students who are interested in learning more about the natural sciences and biology of the rainforest. There are some wonderful light adventures included in this trip. You’ll have the opportunity to explore various national parks with knowledgeable naturalists and local guides. Choose from various different beach locations and try your hand at surfing or deep-sea fishing!
What Our Clients Say:
Just a short note to “Thank You” for making our Costa Rica adventure a “Trip of a Lifetime!” At each point in our journey, the for four of us remarked about what a wonderful job you had done to facilitate our joy. — Steve
Your ability to create an itinerary that met our needs was really quite amazing. Your connections go beyond the norm of a travel agent. — Christine
You did a tremendous job of designing a program that kept our very active family active while ending the 10 days with some lovely downtime. It was a trip we will cherish for many years to come. — Kim
Ready to Plan Your Family Vacation? Contact Us!
Steps to Secure your Family’s Trip to Costa Rica
Based on your comfort level, there are various ways to move forward and secure your family’s itinerary with Costa Rica Escapes. The list below should act as a guideline while you move forward in the process. You can always email or call to speak to your Costa Rica Escapes’ Itinerary Designer; (s)he is a resource to you throughout this process and should be contacted as you have questions.
1. Call (314) 808-7232 or Contact Us via Email
After a review of our itineraries, please email or call us to begin dialogue about your family’s trip. Based on the outlined itineraries, let us know which one(s) appeal to your family. Tell us about your family and desired travel experience. Who is going? Ages? Time of year? Duration of travel? We will begin discussing ideas to personalize the vacation of your dreams.
2. Personal Itinerary Design Process
We consider a personal, telephone connection as a vital piece of the communication as the itinerary-design process starts. We fully understand that family vacations are an important and big investment. We want to speak directly with you to ensure that CRE is a good match for your desired travel experience. Our itinerary design team is available to speak in the evenings and over the weekends as your schedule permits. After a 10-15 minute intro telephone call we will have what we need to get to work. We’ll create a preliminary itinerary & price range to send to you for your review.
3. Sample Itinerary Review & Revisions
Based on your feedback and follow-up conversations, our itinerary design team will continue to customize the itinerary and price to your specific needs. As these samples & revised itineraries are created, they will be emailed to you and discussed in follow-up conversations. This process continues, and you will be notified of due dates and deadlines for your trip as necessary.
4. Airfare & Flight Info
It does not make a difference if you have already purchased your airfare to Costa Rica or not; you can call to discuss things with us at any time throughout the process. You can call us after or before the airline tickets have been purchased and we will tailor the trip around your flight times. Costa Rica Escapes does not purchase airfare as part of our itineraries. We give you advice and hints on how to secure the best airfare during the process, but it will be up to you to buy this and supply the itinerary. You will need to send us your flight information at some point early in the itinerary design process.
5. Applications / Deposit
Once an itinerary and price have been developed and you are comfortable moving ahead, you will need to send a deposit and application to secure the itinerary. CRE will work with you to define a deposit schedule that works for both sides. Once a deposit is received, details for your itinerary’s accommodations can be shared and reviewed.
6. Reservations & Confirmation of Accommodations Sent
When a deposit has been received, CRE will verify availability and share the details of the accommodations with you in an email. At this point, you can reconfirm accommodations and give feedback based on your research. This gives everyone the chance to follow-up and make changes to accommodations, if necessary. CRE takes a great deal of pride in the accommodations that we provide and almost always exceed expectations for the travelers that we work with.
7. Detailed Itinerary is Delivered 7 days Before the Trip
One week (seven days) before your trip you will receive a detailed, day-to-day, Costa Rica travel itinerary that outlines your trip and gives you all of the necessary information and instructions to carry out your family vacation.
Common Questions from Parents Traveling with Kids to Costa Rica
- Is Costa Rica a safe place for families to vacation? – Yes, Costa Rica is extremely safe for families with children of any age. This is a main reason as to why it continues to grow in popularity among parents and grandparents as a top worldly destination for family vacations. Healthcare facilities, private clinics and hospitals with bilingual staff are plentiful and well developed throughout the country. There is very little violent crime in Costa Rica, and the country of Costa Rica does not have a military. Outfitters and adventure suppliers are well educated and properly equipped. Regulations for tourism and adventure sports are developing each day, but it is very important to use appropriate resources to assist you to connect you with the most capable providers.
- Is it safe to drive with my family in Costa Rica? Yes, however, it is strongly recommended that you leave the driving up to the professionals and utilize private or semi-private transportation. We highly recommend that you do not rent a car to navigate yourself and your family. Driving techniques and rules in Costa Rica are very different and rental cars are quite expensive. Signage and lighting on roads are scarce. Roads tend to be narrow and often times in bad condition. Driving yourself and your family adds an additional layer of stress to your vacation that can be easily avoided.
- Do I have to purchased airfare before I contact you? No, airfare can be purchased before, during or after conversations with CRE begin. While we do not purchase airfare on our traveler’s behalf, we can assist in the process by offering advice and suggestions on where to and when to buy.
- Which airport(s) in Costa Rica should I use? There are two major international airports in Costa Rica. There are options to use one airport or both of them during your Costa Rica vacation. This decision is best made based on the experience that you want to develop for your family’s Costa Rica adventure itinerary. We have some thoughts on this that we can share with you in the planning process.
- San Jose (Juansantamaria) – SJO, which is located in the center of the country.
- Liberia (Guanacaste) – LIR, which is located in the Pacific Northwest region of the country.
- Do you offer travel insurance for our family? Yes, based on years of research, we have a suggested provider that we promote for travelers to Costa Rica; however, there are many reputable providers.
- Is there an in-country emergency contact for us? Yes, along with a 24-hour on-country CRE contact, you will have contact information for all of the providers that you will be working with during your travels.